To what extent was late nineteenth-century and early twentieth-century United States expansionism a continuation of past United States expansionism and to what extent was it a departure? Use the documents and your knowledge of United States history to 1914 to construct your answer.
Analyze the changes that occurred during the 1960s in the goals, strategies, and support of the movement for African American civil rights. Use the documents and your knowledge of the history of the 1960s to construct your response.
In what ways and to what extent did constitutional and social developments between 1860 and 1877 amount to a revolution? Use the documents and your knowledge of the period from 1860to 1877 to answer the question.
To what extent did economic and political developments as well as assumptions about the nature of women affect the position of American women during the period 1890-1925? Use the documents and your knowledge of the history of the years 1890-1925 to construct your response.
With the respect to the federal Constitution, the Jeffersonian Republicans are usually characterized as strict constructionists who were opposed to the broad constructionism of the Federalists. To what extent was this characterization of the two parties accurate during the presidencies of Jefferson and Madison? In writing your answer, use the documents and your knowledge of the period 1801-1817.
To what extent had the colonists developed a sense of their identity and unity as Americans by the eve of the Revolution? Use the documents and your knowledge of the period 1750 to 1776to answer the question.
How successful was organized labor in improving the position of workers in the period from 1875 to 1900? Analyze the factors that contributed to the level of success achieved. Use the documents and your knowledge of the period form 1875 to 1900 to construct your answer.
What were the Cold War fears of the American people in the aftermath of the Second World War? How successfully did the administration of President Dwight D. Eisenhower address these fears? Use the documents and your knowledge of the years 1948-1961 to construct your response.
“Reform movements in the United States sought to expand democratic ideals.” Assess the validity of this statement with specific reference to the years 1825-1850. Use the documents and your knowledge of the period 1825-1850 in constructing your response.
Analyze the responses of Franklin D. Roosevelt’s administration to the problems of the Great Depression. How effective were these responses? How did they change the role of the federal government? Use the documents and your knowledge of the period of 1929-1941 to construct your essay.
In what ways did the French and Indian War (1754-1763) alter the political, economic and ideological relations between Britain and its American colonies? Use the documents and your knowledge of the period 1740-66 in constructing your response.
To what extent did the American Revolution fundamentally change American society? In your answer, be sure to address the political, social, and economic effects of the Revolution in the period from 1775 to 1800.
Discuss the changing ideals of American womanhood between the American Revolution (1770's) and the outbreak of the Civil War. What factors fostered the emergence of “republican motherhood” and the “cult of domesticity”? Assess the extent to which these ideals influenced the lives of women during this period. In your answer be sure to consider issues of race and class.
Analyze the ways in which technology, government policy, and economic conditions changed American agriculture in the period 1865-1900. In your answer be sure to evaluate farmers’responses to these changes.
in the United States. Focus your answer on the period 1964 to 1975.
From 1775 to 1830, many African Americans gained freedom from slavery, yet during the same period the institution of slavery expanded. Explain why BOTH of those changes took place. Analyze the ways BOTH free African Americans and enslaved African Americans responded to the challenges confronting them.
In what ways did ideas and values held by Puritans influence the political, economic, and social development of the New England colonies from 1630 through the 1660s?
AnalyzetheinternationalanddomesticchallengestheUnitedStatesfacedbetween1968and1974,and evaluate how President Richard Nixon’s administration responded to them.
Standard Essay Questions
2. Analyze the ways in which TWO of the following influenced the development of American society.
Puritanism during the seventeenth century
The Great Awakening during the eighteenth century
The Second Great Awakening during the nineteenth century
3. Evaluate the relative importance of domestic and foreign affairs in shaping American politics in the 1790s.
4. Compare and contrast the attitudes of THREE of the following toward the wealth that was created in the
4. How and why did transportation developments spark economic growth during the period from 1860 to 1900 in the United States?
5. Describe and account for the rise of nativism in American society from 1900 to 1930.
2. Compare the ways in which religion shaped the development of colonial society (to 1740) in TWO of the following regions:
3. Analyze the contributions of TWO of the following in helping establish a stable government after the adoption of the Constitution.
4. Compare and contrast U.S. foreign policy after World War I and World War II. Consider the periods 1919-1928 and 1945-1950.
5. How did the African-American Civil Rights movement of the 1950s and 1960s address the failures of Reconstructions?
2. Evaluate the extent to which the Articles of Confederation were effective in solving the problems that confronted the new nation.
3. In what ways did developments in transportation bring about economic and social change in the United States in the period 1820 to 1860?
4. Evaluate the impact of the Civil War on political and economic developments in TWO of the following regions.
Focus your answer on the period between 1865 and 1900.
5. Compare and contrast United States society in the 1920's and the 1950's with respect to TWO of the following:
role of women
2. Analyze the impact of the American Revolution on both slavery and the status of women in the period from 1775-1800.
3. Analyze the effectiveness of political compromise in reducing sectional tensions in the period 1820 to1861.
4. Compare and contrast the programs and policies designed by reformers of the Progressive era to those designed by reformers of the New Deal period. Confine your answer to programs and policies that addressed the needs of those living in poverty.
5. Analyze the success and failures of the United States Cold War policy of containment as it developed in TWO of the following regions of the world during the period 1945 to 1975.
East and Southeast Asia
2. Compare and contrast the ways in which economic development affected politics in Massachusetts and Virginia in the period from 1607 to 1750.
3. To what extent did the debates about the Mexican War and its aftermath reflect the sectional interests of New Englanders, westerners, and southerners in the period from 1845 to 1855.
4. Describe the patterns of immigration in TWO of the periods listed below. Compare and contrast the responses of Americans to immigrants in these periods.
1820 to 1860
1880 to 1924
1965 to 2000
5. Analyze the extent to which TWO of the following transformed American society in the 1960's and 1970's.
2. Analyze the differences between the Spanish settlements in the Southwest and the English colonies in New England in the seventeenth century in terms of TWO of the following:
3. Explain why and how the role of the federal government changed as a result of the Civil War with respect to TWO of the following during the period 1861-1877?
4. Historians have argued that Progressive reform lost momentum in the 1920's. Evaluate this statement with respect to TWO of the following
Regulation of business
5. While the United States appeared to be dominated by consensus and conformity in the\ 1950's, some Americans reacted against the status quo. Analyze the critiques of United States society made by TWO of the following.
Civil Rights Activists
2. Settlers in the eighteenth-century American backcountry sometimes resorted to violent protest to express their grievances. Analyze the causes and significance of TWO of the following:
3. In what ways did the Second Great Awakening in the North influence TWO of the following?
The cult of domesticity
4. To what extend did the role of the federal government change under President Theodore Roosevelt in regard to TWO of the following.
5. “Landslide presidential victories do not ensure continued political effectiveness or legislative success.” Assess the validity of this statement by comparing TWO of the following presidential administrations.
Franklin Roosevelt (1936)
Lyndon Johnson (1964)
Richard Nixon (1972)
Ronald Reagan (1984)
2. Early encounters between American Indians and European colonists led to a variety of relationships among the different cultures. Analyze how the actions taken by BOTH American Indians and European colonists shaped those relationships in TWO of the following regions. Confine your answer to the 1600s.
New York and New France
3. Analyze the impact of the market revolution (1815-1860) on the economies of TWO of the following regions.
4. Following Reconstruction, many souther leaders promoted the idea of a “New South.” To what extent was this “New South” a reality by the time of the First World War? In your answer be sure to address TWO of the following.
5. Presidential elections between 1928 and 1948 revealed major shifts in political party loyalties. Analyze both the reasons for these changes and their consequences during this period.
2. Analyze the ways in which British imperial policies between 1763 and 1776 intensified colonials’ resistance to British rule and their commitment to republican values.
3. Analyze the social, political, and economic forces of the 1840s and early 1850s that led to the emergence of the Republican Party.
4. Choose TWO of the following organizations and explain their strategies for advancing the interests of the workers. To what extent were these organizations successful in achieving their objectives? Confine your answer to the period from 1875 to 1925.
Knights of Labor
American Federation of Labor
Socialist Part of America
Industrial Workers of the World
5. Analyze the home-front experiences of TWO of the following groups during the Second World War.
2. Analyze the political, diplomatic, and military reasons for the United States victory in the Revolutionary War. Confine your answer to the period 1775–1783.
3. Analyze the ways in which controversy over the extension of slavery into western territories contributed to the coming of the Civil War. Confine your answer to the period 1845–1861.
4. Analyze the roles that women played in Progressive Era reforms from the 1880s through 1920. Focus your essay on TWO of the following.
Labor and working conditions
5. Explain the causes and consequences of TWO of the following population movements in the United States during the period 1945–1985.
The growth of the Sun Belt
Immigration to the United States
2. Analyze the origins and development of slavery in Britain’s North American colonies in the period 1607 to 1776.
3. To what extent did political parties contribute to the development of national unity in the United States between 1790 and 1840?
4. Compare and contrast the ways that many Americans expressed their opposition to immigrants in the 1840s–1850s with the ways that many Americans expressed their opposition to immigrants in the 1910s–1920s.
5. African American leaders have responded to racial discrimination in the United States in a variety of ways. Compare and contrast the goals and strategies of African American leaders in the 1890s–1920s with the goals and strategies of African American leaders in the 1950s–1960s.