Child: 2 i. William (~1690-)

Download 1.06 Mb.
Size1.06 Mb.
  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11

Register Report

First Generation


1. William SHANNON.

2 i. William (~1690-)

Second Generation


Family of William SHANNON (1)

2. William SHANNON II (William1). William was born in Ireland about 1690.

3 i. William (~1720-1784)

Third Generation


Family of William SHANNON II (2)

3. William SHANNON III (William2, William1). William was born in Ireland about 1720. William died in Mercersburg, Pennsylvania, on July 5, 1784; he was 64.
William married Mary. Mary was born in Ireland.
They had one child:

4 i. John (1743-1825)

Fourth Generation


Family of William SHANNON III (3) & Mary

4. John SHANNON (William3, William2, William1). John was born in County Cork, Ireland, in 1743. John died in Kentucky in 1825; he was 82. John served in Revolutionary War. Corporal in Capt. Davis' company and in 1778 sergeant in the 9th Pennsylvania regiment.
In 1764 John married Susan ALEXANDER, in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. Susan was born in Pennsylvania in 1749.
They had the following children:

5 i. Jennie (1769-1821)

6 ii. Mary “Polly” (1773-1823)

7 iii. Isabella (1775-)

8 iv. William (1780-)

9 v. Margaret “Peggy” (1783-1811)

vi. John Jacob. John Jacob was born on September 23, 1785.

10 vii. Susan (Susannah?) (1787-)

viii. Nancy Elizabeth “Naloy”.

Page 226, Nov. 1811-John McCune apptd. Gdn. to Elizabeth Naylor, inft. orphan of Thos. Naylor. Surety: Geo. Reading.

Nancy Elizabeth “Naloy” married Thomas NALOR.

Fifth Generation


Family of John SHANNON (4) & Susan ALEXANDER

5. Jennie SHANNON (John4, William3, William2, William1). Jennie was born on March 17, 1769. Jennie died in 1821; she was 51.
In 1809 Jennie married Gilbert THOMPSON. Gilbert was born in Maryland on February 11, 1772. Gilbert died in Pike County, Missouri, on December 5, 1825; he was 53.
Gilbert Thompson mentioned infant daughter Jane in his will, settlement in Georgetown, Scott County, Kentucky, Will Bk. E., p. 146.
They had one child:

11 i. Nancy H. (1813-1892)

6. Mary “Polly” SHANNON (John4, William3, William2, William1). Mary “Polly” was born in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, on December 7, 1773.1 Kathryn Hutcherson Campbell places birth date as December 7, 1776. Mary “Polly” died in Kentucky on September 24, 1823; she was 49.
On November 21, 1793 Mary “Polly” married John McCUNE, son of William McCUNE (1750-December 6, 1830) & Elizabeth McCLINTOCK (?) (circa 1738-circa 1812), in Bourbon County, Kentucky. John was born in Squirrel Hill, Pennsylvania, on June 15, 1772.2 John died in Pike County, Missouri, on January 31, 1852; he was 79.
Edgewood, Pike County, Missouri

Likewise, Edgewood, located in southeastern Cuivre township about one-half mile east of the present Highway 61, now consists farmland sprinkled with residences and a church where once a general store, blacksmith shop, country school and church were a hub of activity. Edgewood was laid out by John McCune and was given its name because of its location on the edge of some woods in rough, timbered country. A post office was established there in March of 1879 and John McCune was the first postmaster. The first post office was in a log cabin, but later moved to a brick building, which burned in the early 1900's. A new brick building served as the post office from 1910 until 1955 when the post office was discontinued. At that time, the population of the town was 47.

They had the following children:

12 i. Elizabeth “Betsey” (1795-1877)

ii. Susan. Susan was born in Kentucky on October 31, 1796. Susan died in Pike County, Missouri, in March 1839; she was 42.


John Kincaid-Susanna McCune. Dec. 13, 1819. Leroy Jackson. Is this our Susanna?--REF
Susan married Thomas KERR.

13 iii. William L. (1802-1856)

iv. Cynthia. Cynthia was born on March 8, 1805.

14 v. Nancy (1799-1834)

vi. Mary “Polly”. Mary “Polly” was born on April 16, 1807.

Pike County Marriage Record, p. 193:

Richard Brewer-,Polly McCune Nov. 13, 1825. Jeremiah Taylor, Baptist.
On November 13, 1825 Mary “Polly” married Richard BREWER, in Pike County, Missouri.

vii. John Shannon. John Shannon was born in Kentucky on June 21, 1809.

“Capt. John S. moved to St. Louis and Keokuk packet company and was connected with many of the leading enterprises of that city, and at his death was supposed to be very wealthy.” (Pike County Post article, December 12, 1888.)
On May 21, 1839 John Shannon married Ruth Ann GLASBY, in Pike Co. Missouri.

viii. Harvey Thompson. Harvey Thompson was born in Kentucky circa 1812.

“Harvey T. was killed on the highway from Sedalia to his home on Spring river about the close of the war.” (Pike County Post, 12/15/1888)


Pike County Marriage Record, p. 206: Harvev L. McCune-Mary Watson. Nov.24, 1836. James W. Campbell.


Pike County, Missouri, Marriages 1820-1840:

Name: Harry L. McCune

Spouse: Mary Matson

Marriage Date: 24 Nov 1836

On November 24, 1836 Harvey Thompson married Mary MATSON, in Pike County, Missouri.

ix. Margaret Jane. Margaret Jane was born in Kentucky on January 5, 1814.

PIKE COUNTY MARRIAGE RECORD, p. 203: Thomas Cleaver of RalIs Co.-Margaret McCune, Dec.16,1834. James W. Campbell.
On December 16, 1834 Margaret Jane married Thomas (James?) CLEAVER, in Pike County, Missouri.
Pike County, Missouri, Marriage Index lists the following:

Name: James Cleavor

Spouse: Margaret McCune

Marriage Date: 16 Dec 1834 of Ralls County, Mo.

7. Isabella SHANNON (John4, William3, William2, William1). Isabella was born on November 7, 1775.
Isabella married John CLARK.
They had one child:

15 i. Isabella

8. William SHANNON (John4, William3, William2, William1). William was born on July 15, 1780.
In 1813 William first married Margaret EASTIN. Margaret was born in 1793. Margaret died on January 21, 1843; she was 50.
They had one child:

16 i. Susan Ellen (1823-1848)

William second married Mary (Polly) EASTIN. Mary (Polly) was born in Kentucky on February 9, 1796. Mary (Polly) died in Pike County, MO, about 1875; she was 78.
9. Margaret “Peggy” SHANNON (John4, William3, William2, William1). Margaret “Peggy” was born on January 27, 1783. Margaret “Peggy” died on July 19, 1811; she was 28.
On February 10, 1810 Margaret “Peggy” married Joseph PATTON Jr., son of Joseph PATTEN (October 1, 1759-September 1, 1822) & Margaret McCLINTOCK (April 8, 1761-February 18, 1838). Joseph was born in Bourbon County, Virginia, on June 16, 1786. Joseph died in Shelby County, Ohio, on January 12, 1854; he was 67.
They had one child:

i. Margaret S. Margaret S. was born in Bourbon County, Kentucky, on April 11, 1811. Margaret S. died in Bourbon County, Kentucky, on March 16, 1815; she was 3.

10. Susan (Susannah?) SHANNON (John4, William3, William2, William1). Susan (Susannah?) was born on September 20, 1787.
On January 23, 1815 Susan (Susannah?) first married Thomas STARK, in Fayette County, Kentucky. Thomas died in 1816 in Kentucky.
They had one child:

17 i. Thomas “Tommie” (1815-)

On July 1, 1824 Susan (Susannah?) second married Gilbert THOMPSON. Gilbert was born in Maryland on February 11, 1772. Gilbert died in Pike County, Missouri, on December 5, 1825; he was 53.
Gilbert Thompson mentioned infant daughter Jane in his will, settlement in Georgetown, Scott County, Kentucky, Will Bk. E., p. 146.
They had one child:

18 i. Jane Gilbert (1825-1867)

Sixth Generation


Family of Jennie SHANNON (5) & Gilbert THOMPSON

11. Nancy H. THOMPSON (Jennie SHANNON5, John4, William3, William2, William1). Nancy H. was born in Bourbon County, Kentucky, on October 3, 1813. Nancy H. died in 1892; she was 78.
In 1829 Nancy H. married William PENIX, son of John PENIX & Martha. William was born in Sharpsburgh, Kentucky, on February 1, 1801. William died in 1891; he was 89.
They had one child:

19 i. James Jefferson (1841-1930)

Family of Mary “Polly” SHANNON (6) & John McCUNE

12. Elizabeth “Betsey” McCUNE (Mary “Polly” SHANNON5, John4, William3, William2, William1). Elizabeth “Betsey” was born in Kentucky on September 16, 1795. Elizabeth “Betsey” died in Louisiana, Pike County, Missouri, on July 12, 1877; she was 81. Elizabeth “Betsey” was buried in Old Biggs Home 3 Miles South Of Three Churches, Pike County, Missouri.
On March 20, 1810 Elizabeth “Betsey” married William BIGGS, son of Rev. Davis BIGGS (March 8, 1763-August 1, 1845) & Anna MORRIS (1766-1845), in Bourbon County, Kentucky. William was born in Camden Co., North Carolina, on March 20, 1788. William died in Near Louisiana, Pike County, Missouri, on April 15, 1847; he was 59. William was buried in Old Biggs Home, 3 Miles South Of Three Churches, Pike County, Missouri. William served in War Of 1812. Private, Col. Richard M. Johnson’s Regiment of Kentucky Mounted Militia. Fought at the battle of the Thames. His widow received a pension for his service in this war. Widows certificate #1070, Bureau of Pensions, Washington, D.C. Occupation: State Senator: Served In State 20 Years; First Representative From Pike County, Missouri.
They had the following children:

20 i. John Davis (1811-1889)

21 ii. George K. (1812-1894)

iii. Mary Ann “Polly”. Mary Ann “Polly” was born in Kentucky on August 27, 1814.

On May 27, 1832 Mary Ann “Polly” married Colonel Owin Cullen TINKER, in Pike County, Missouri.3 Pike County, Missouri, Marriage Bond, Book 1, p. 61, #299. Officiated by the Rev. Davis Biggs.

22 iv. Nancy Harrison (1816-1879)

23 v. Milton (1817-1902)

24 vi. Emily S. “Emma” (1819-1844)

25 vii. Marion (1823-1910)

26 viii. Elizabeth (1825-1901)

27 ix. Margaret Brewer (1828-1904)

28 x. Matthew Richard “Dick” Kerr

29 xi. Susan Jane (1821-1875)

xii. William Keenan.

13. William L. McCUNE (Mary “Polly” SHANNON5, John4, William3, William2, William1). William L. was born in Kentucky on September 11, 1802. William L. died in Pike County, Missouri, in 1856/1857; he was 53.
Pike County Martriage Record, p. 193:

William McCune-Jane Guy. Nov. 6, 1825. Thomas McQueen, J. P

On November 6, 1825 William L. married Jane GUY, in Pike County, Missouri. Jane died in 1867 in Pike County, Missouri.
They had the following children:

30 i. Charles S. (1829-1911)

31 ii. John (1827-1888)

32 iii. Harvey Guy (1831-1912)

iv. William E. William E. was born about 1835.

v. James R. S. James R. S. was born on January 24, 1850.

14. Nancy McCUNE (Mary “Polly” SHANNON5, John4, William3, William2, William1). Nancy was born in Bourbon County, Kentucky, on June 16, 1799.4 Nancy died in Pike County, Missouri, on January 9, 1834; she was 34.
On March 26, 1816 Nancy married Major Joseph HOLLIDAY, son of William HOLLIDAY (1755-after December 20, 1811) & Martha PATTON (between 1754-1760-October 9, 1816), in Bourbon County, Kentucky. Joseph was born in Harrison County, Kentucky, on September 15, 1789. Joseph died in Monroe County, Missouri, on December 17, 1870; he was 81.
Autobiography of Joseph Holliday (1861)

Copy annotated by his son, Samuel Newton Holliday, St. Louis, Mo. (1863)

I was born on the fifyeenth (sic) day or September, 1789. in what was then Bourbon Co, Ky., now Harrison Co., about three miles southwest from where Cynthiana now is, on a bluff of Gray’s Run, on the south side thereof, just above its mouth.
My father’s name was William Holliday. He was born in Ireland, near Londonberry, and came to America when he was seventeen years of age. He came to Pennsylvania where he married Martha Patton. She also came from Ireland, when she was eleven years of age, with her father and mother and a large family of brothers and sisters. When last heard from, two sisters of my mother were living near Urbana, Ohio; one named Nancy Steele, a widow; and, the other named Polly Wright, also a widow. They had a great many children.
In the north of Ireland there was a Rebellion, about the year 1772, I think, the rebels belonged to a society named the Hearts of Steele (refer below under “History” for a brief summary of The Hearts of Steel). They rebelled against the government, endeavoring to regain the lost liberty of Ireland, but did not accomplish much. There were a great many of them, but they could not do anything against the British Army. My father was a member of the Hearts of Steele, and as the British Government had detected the movements of the Society, and was endeavoring to ferret out its members, my father escaped in a vessel and came to America, in the year 1772. He had no brothers. He had only one sister I think her name was Martha (her name was June). She (Jane) married her cousin Joseph Holliday in Ireland. They came to America, and settled in Pennsylvania. Her husband, Joseph Holliday, was killed in Pennsylvania by the falling of a tree, which was cut down for a coon. He was holding the dogs, and, the tree falling the wrong way, killed him. They had two children; one son named Samuel, who has a family of children some where in Ohio. Sam was killed a few years ago, not far from Lebanon, Ohio, on Point Creek. He was hauling a load of joice or rafters, and going down hill, the load slipped forward and killed him; His sister died unmarried.
My father’s sister married a second husband, named Elliott, who had a son who was a Presbyterian Preacher, and a teacher in a college or Seminary at Allegheny City, Pennsylvania. They had a son who is a Physician, Dr. Elliott.
My father died in February 1812. I think it was February. I know it was in 1812; and that it was a short time before war was declared. He was fifty-five years of age at the time of his death.
My father moved to Kentucky after he was married and had three children, I think it was about 1786, three years before I was born. He settled at the place where I was born, on Gray’s Run. My father had ten children, five boys and five girls, to-wit: Samuel, William, Sally, Nancy, Martha, Jane, Joseph, Rebecca, James, and John. John died when a small boy. (John Holliday died in 1796 aged 11 months) All are now (1861) dead but three of us, Jane Boyd, who is five years older than I; Rebecca McClintock, who is three years younger than I; and myself.
John Boyd and her husband, Irving Boyd, live in Indiana, about fifty miles from Indianapolis, and one mile south of the railroad that goes from Indianapolis to Maton, Ohio. They have two boys, one named Rankin, and the other, I think, is named Irvin. Irvin lives in Illinois, not far west of Terre Haute, Indiana.
Rebecca McClintock, widow, has three children living. One, William, lives near Indianapolis; another, Martha Patton, widow, has two boys by her first husband, named Nesbit. She resides in Indiana about twenty miles south of Jane Boyd on the railroad that goes from Indianapolis to Cincinnati, at Greensburg. Her mother lives with her. The third child, Joseph McClintock is now (1861) in California, but talks of returning. He has a wife and children.
Sister Martha died unmarried, when she was about sixteen years of age. (Martha Holliday died in 1803 aged 16 years)
Sister Sally died early, but left one daughter, her husband was named Alexander Martin. The daughter has been married several years, I don’t know her husband1s name. (Sarah Martin died in 1804 aged 20 years)
Brother Samuel died near Pendleton Indiana, on Fall River, about 1845. He left about eight children. William, one of his sons, is a preacher, and resides in Indianapolis. Joseph, a lawyer, died a few years ago, while a member of the Legislature of Indiana. John is dead. Two of the girls live about Pendleton, the rest are all dead. One of the sons had prepared himself for the ministry, and on his return home just after he graduated in Pennsylvania, he died. Brother William died on Grassy Creek, near Louisiana, Pike County, Mo. about the year 1830. He left five boys, William, George, Samuel, James, and Joseph; and one daughter, Martha. Sally, another daughter, died young.
My brother James died near Clinton, Indiana, about 1830. (He died June 8, 1822) He was a carpenter by trade. He built the Cout (sic) House in Eaton, Ohio. He left two daughters and one son. The son, named Patton Holliday, was killed, when about twenty years old, in the time of the Black Hawk War. (James Patton Holliday died Oct. 18, 1843, aged 20 years & 9 months) He was Lieutenant, and the Military were camping out, drilling at Eton, Ohio, and tried to play a prank on the guard by going through. He was shot with a wad and died a few days later. James two daughters now live in Eaton, Ohio. One married Alfred Denny and the other Dr. Minor. One, I think, is named Fanny, the other Caroline. They were very nice women,--very.
EARLY RECOLLECTIONS. The frst thing I can recollect--about the first thing, was the death of my brother John. I, and some of the other children were sent over to a neighbor’s house to tell them about his death. I recollect I was very sorry to lose my little brother.
About the next thing I can recollect is that my father kept a horse hitched outside the log cabin, with a hole in the wall, through which a chain was passed, which was fastened to the horse’s neck. The chain was fastened inside, and the rattling of the chain was supposed to awaken my father if the Indians came to attack him. Father had his gun there, too. The Indians came around the house one night, when Father was gone to the salt works, down at Big Bone, in the lower part of Kentucky. My mother put the children, myself among them, in the loft. A young girl of the neighborhood was stayng with mother while father was gone. She was so badly scared that she got under the puncheon floor. I was very much afraid, still I did not sit up all night. Mother did. The Indians chopped with their “Tom-a-hawks” at the door awhile. We could hear them talking. They were just on a stealing expedition. They stole some horses that night from old Johnny Lair, who lived over Licking, opposite us. Old Hinkson, an Indian fighter, raised some men and followed them, caught up with them near the mouth of the Licking, not far from where Cincinnati now is. Old Hinkson followed their trail, saw smoke rising from their camp, from the top of the ridge, waited until the Indians slept, crawled up and killed nearly all of them and got all the horses back. There were about twelve in all, all were killed except two, and one of them it was thought would die from the blood that was found. I recollect that the men came over to our house, to see the Indians, the next morning after the Indians were there, said it looked like they had been in our cornfield several days. My old friend George Redding was one of the men who came over.
SCHOOL DAYS. I don’t believe I went to school over a year, in my whole life. My first teacher was named Garmony, an Irishman; another teacher’s name was Hinkson, a relation of the Indian fighter. I got my arm broken, wrestling, while I was going to school to him. Notwithstanding that, I still kept up the practice of wrestling for several years. I was never thrown two best out of three in my life. I can think of a heap of foolishness away back in my life, but I don’t want it down here.

FIGHTS. There were very few. I was a good stout boy nearly a man, when I and a neighbor boy got to fighting at acorn shucking. Out fathers were both present. They separated us. They had divided the piles and the hands, having a corn-shucking match. He began to throw corn from his pile to ours (sic) side, and from that, and each of us got at it, and from that we got to knocking. I don’t know who got the best of it. I thought I did. I had a fight in Pike Co. Mo. with a man by the name of McGowan. He had abused his daughter, and she had come to my house because of his bad treatment. He came over to abuse her, and he abused my wife. I was not at home. The first time I saw him afterward, I accused him of abusing my wife. He denied it, gave me the “lie”, and I downed him and pounded him well. He had me arrested with a “Forthwith” and taken before the Justice of the Peace. When I was walking up to the “Squires”, McGowan, with other men, was standing before the Justice’s office. I said to him, “McGowan, you have a black eye, what1s the matter with it?” I have forgotten the reply he made. We went to trial, had jury. He was fined five dollars for abusing a witness, and had the costs to pay. I never had any difficulties about the girls.

LOVE SCRAPS. I will now record my love scrapes. I was a very bashful boy. We had a neighbor, in Kentucky named George Redding, who had a daughter named Rebecca, about my age. We lived within a half a mile of one another and grew up together. My elder brother used to hire her to hug and kiss me, when we were six or seven years old, and it used to plague me awfully.
When I was fourteen or fifteen years of age, my father moved into his new house, on the opposite side of his farm, considerably increasing the distance between our house and Mr. Redding’s. Rebecca came over to our house about a month after we moved, to pay the family a visit. I found out she was in the house, and I expected my brothers to resort to the old habit of getting her to annoy me. I walked about the yard, considering what I ought to do in the premises, and considering how I could, most successfully go through the expected contest in the evening. I found a resolution and went immediately into the house. After supper, when we were all settled comfortably around the fire, my brothers, just as I had expected, suggested to Rebecca that, as we had not met for some time, she ought to kiss me. She looked at me archly, and seemed to be asking herself whether there was any impropriety in it or not, and before I had time to think about it she was sitting on my lap trying to kiss me. Quick as though, I now carried out my resolution, previously formed, by running my hand in her bosom. It was her turn to blush, and to attempt to get away from my other encircling arm. She never tried to kiss me again. She afterwards became the wife of my elder brother, William Holliday. The first girl I ever loved was named Jane Edgar, the sister of the Presbyterian minister who lately died in Nashville, Tenn. She married after I did.
(To the question, “How many girls did you ever love?”, he answered, “I can not tell you that, My dear!”) S.N.H.
POLITICAL OPINIONS. I was first a Republican candidate against the Federalists. I believe I voted for a President before Jackon’s time, I have voted the Democratic ticket all my life, and have no reason to regret my course. I was very much opposed to the Know Nothings, and I do not regret that. I believe they had a great deal to do with bringing us into our present troubles and civil war. I never ran for political office, and never desired any. My neighbors have asked me to run for justice of the peace but I do not desire such honors--I have always declined.
USE OF TOBACCO. I began to chew tobacco, when I was about twenty years of age, chewed about forty years, and have not taken a chew since. I have smoked ever since I have quit chewing, except about six months. I quit chewing three or four times, a year or so at a time, one time I quit for three years. I cannot say that the use of tobacco has ever injured me, it has been a great luxury to me.
SWEARING. I never swore an oath in my life to my recollection.
WHISKEY. I used to take my drams, but never was drunk or gaggy groggy. I have not tasted liquor for more than thirty years. I never kept whisky to drink, but would get it for “gatherings,” log-rollings, corn-shuckings, house-raisings, and the like.
RELIGION. I professed religion when I was about twenty five years of age, and joined the old Presbyterian Church, and continued a member of that church, until I came to Missouri. Three or four years after I came to Missouri, I joined the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, and have remained a member of that Church to this time. I have tried to live the life of a true Christian. I have a hope in Christ. That grows brighter as my hair grows whiter for the grave.
I have never been before a Church session but twice, that I recollect. I had a kind of a trial for hitting McGowan. I went before the session myself, of my own motion, and told them what I had done, and, that I was not sorry for it. They agreed that I was justifiable.
I was up before the session again, at the instance of a neighbor named Gip Crim. He charged that I had told Peter Brammer, on one occasion that if he would come out, I would give him, Brammer, a thrashing. I got Brammer to go to the session to testify and he said that there were not a word of truth in Crim1s statement. I was triumphantly acquitted.
MILITARY. When I was about twenty years of age, I was elected Captain of Militia Co., and was Captain for several years, until I left Harrison Co., Ky. During the time I volunteered, as mounted rifleman or Dragoons in Dick Johnson1s Regiment, from Ky. in 1813. We volunteered for three months. Brother Samuel was out before we were. He went from Indiana, not far from Pendleton. He was an infantry officer, and was out when peace was declared. My brother William and myself were in the battle of the Thames, in Canada, in Oct., 1813. Both of us were actively engaged in the battle both close together. Our platoon was the first platoon behind Johnson, in centre Co. James Coleman was our Captain. He was nearly scared to death. He backed--backed over the swamp during the fight. He ordered the men to go back over the swamp, and many of them went. I did not go. I stuck it out, my dear. About one third of the Co. gave back over the swamp, by Coleman1s orders, they were the timid portion of the Co. but the bravest talkers. Coleman himself, used to be always blaming Gen. Harrison for the way in which he carried on the war, saying that if he were General, what he would do, but I never heard him say a word against Harrison after that battle. Harrison was a soldier, I know that. He passed along the line not two minutes before the Indians gave way. Johnson’s orders were to crash through, but the Indians were still all around, in the thickets, behind old logs, stumps, and trees, all around us. Johnson gave the orders to light and give them “Indian Play”. We jumped off and got behind trees. I shot twice, at Indians both times. I think I killed one I saw him loading. They don’t get behind the biggest trees, but about the size of a man’s body. Clem Jennings ran to Moravian town, two and one half miles. Lieutenant Logan, a brave man, was wounded and died eight or nine days after the battle.------------Guthrie was shot twice, and lived only eight or nine days. He was the son of the author of Guthrie1s arithmetic. When Coleman gave his orders to go back over the swamp, my brother William turned to me and said, “Let us go over the Swamp.” I told him “No.” He went back, and he thought I was killed until after we got to Moravian town. He was sick. I got my horse the second day after the battle, he ran back five or six miles. Tecumseh was killed in this battle, Johnson did not kill him, I saw Tecumseh’s body, the day after the battle. The soldiers had cut off a great deal of skin, to make razor straps. My “Mess” were William Phillips and myself, all of them came to Missouri, except James Trimble, and his widow came. Thomas Hurd did live near Florida, Monroe Co., Mo. He is now (1863) dead. Hiram Phillips, now called “Judge,” waited on me when I was married. He resides six or seven miles from Columbia Mo., Boone Co.
The widow of James Trimble lives in the eastern part of Randolph Co., Mo. Hiram Phillips was Orderly Sargent (sic) of our Company. The Orderly Sargent has the most troublesome duties in the Company, and he ought to get twice as much wages as are allowed him.
The next summer after I came to Missouri, I was appointed Adjutant in the Militia, and so remained until I was elected Major. Am called “Major” to this very day.
My wife’s grandfather, William McCune, was a prisoner with the Indians, three years during the Revolutionary War. He saw sights, my dear. He was ironed frequently, hand cuffed. His wife never heard from him during this time. His wife’s father used to quiz her, about setting out, after her husband returned.
RESIDENCE. I was born in Bourbon Co., Ky., afterwards cut off, as Harrison Co., as I said before, I lived there until 1817, when I came to the territory of Missouri, and settled on Ramsey’s Creek, now in Pike Co., then in St. Charles Co., I lived at Ramsey1s Creek one year, and then moved to Spencer’s Creek, one mile from Elk Springs, now Pike Co., Mo. and resided there until 1837, then I moved to Monroe Co., Mo., about eight miles west of Paris, where I now live.

MARRIAGES AND FAMILY. I married Nancy McCune, the daughter of John McCune, March 26th 1816. She died January 9th 1834. Our eldest son, William, was born in Kentucky. Shortly after his birth we moved to Missouri. The Company who came to Missouri together were:

My wife’s grandfather, William McCune and family. Benjamin Gray and family. He married a daughter of William McCune, my wife’s grandfather. William Holliday, my elder brother and his family. His wife was Rebecca Redding. William Biggs, and his family. He married Betsey, my wife’s eldest sister. John McCune, my wife’s father and his family. His wife was named Polly Shannon, a daughter, I think, of John Shannon. Myself and my family.
I only had half of a four-horse team to move in my father-in-law having the other half, beside his one other wagon. There were six families of us, and I am the only man now living of the whole company. There are but two of the women now living, Betsey Biggs, widow of William Biggs, and Rebecca, the widow of my brother William. She married a second husband named Grant, and is again a widow. She still lives in Grass Creek.
In coming to Missouri, we came by Louisville, then crossed the Ohio river, thence to Smelser’s Ferry, about two miles above Alton, Illinois, where we crossed the Mississippi River, thence to St. Charles, thence up to Ramsey’s Creek. My wife died in 1834.
I married a second time in 1837 to Elizabeth F. East, widow of Daniel East, in Monroe Co., Mo. My wife’s maiden name was Dickerson. By my first marriage, I had nine children, the youngest dying in child-birth, eight, four boys and four girls, arrived to maturity, and are now all living except my eldest daughter Polly, who died a few years since, leaving seven children. She married Daniel Atterberry who died a few years after my daughter. He was killed by a falling of a tree, a limb flew back and killed him. My children were named William Harvey, John James, Thompson, Polly Sloan, Rebecca Jane, Martha Ann, Samuel Newton, and Elizabeth Brewer. All married and are now living except Polly Sloan, whom I have spoken of above. William married Jenetta Harper. They reside in Monroe Co., Mo. She is the niece of my present wife.
John James married Lucretia Foree. They reside in St. Louis (1863) and have eight children living, two dead.
Thompson married Mary Ann Gwyn. She died a few years since. He married a second time, Paulina Arnold, widow, whose maiden name was Phillips. Thompson had five children of his first marriage, and two of his last, and his present wife has four children by her first marriage. Thompson also resides in Monroe Co., Mo.
Rebecca Jane was married to Samuel H. Dickerson, the nephew of my second wife. They reside in Randolph Co., Mo. and have a large family of children nine living and three dead.
Martha Ann married William Foster. They are now (1863) in Texas; they have one child named Finis Harvey.
Samuel Newton married Maria F. Glasby, they reside in St. Louis and have two children.
Elizabeth Brewer married Adam Gwyn, a brother of Thompson’s first wife. They reside in Monroe Co., Mo. and have four children living and two dead.
My father was a hard working, industrious, steady man. He was strictly temperate. I never heard of his being groggy in my life. My mother had four brothers, all steady religious men, to-wit; Thomas, Joseph, William, and John Patton. She had five sisters, Sally Morrow, Nancy Steele, Rosanna Mitchell, Polly Wright, and Elizabeth McCune. Elizabeth’s first husband was named Maxwell, her second husband William McCune, my first wife’s grandfather, by whom she had four children, William, Joseph Polly Lacy, and one other.
William McCune is married and lives in Pike Co., Mo., Joseph married a Miss Edwards by whom he had one child who I think is named William. He died and his widow married a second time.
My wife’s father, John McCune, was married twice. He had nine children by his first marriage, Betsey, Susan, William, Polly, John S., Harvey T., Nancy, my wife, and Margaret.
By his second marriage he had three children, Harry E., Joseph, and Rebecca.
Susan, William, and Polly are now dead. Susan first married Kinkead, who only lived a few years, and afterward she married Thomas Kerr. She left three children living at the time of her death, to-wit; John J., Richard T., and Susan Kerr. John J. Kerr married Margaret Braley, and has several children. He resides in Nebraska City, Nebraska Territory. Richard T. Kerr married a daughter of James Rains. He resides in southwest Missouri. Susan married John C. McBribe, by whom she had four children. She died two or three years since, in Monroe Co., Mo. where her husband now resides.
William McCune married Jane Guy. He resides in Pike Co., Mo. near Elk Springs. He died several years since leaving five children, John, Savory, Guy, William, and James. His widow is still living. John, Savory, and Guy are all married and reside in Pike Co., Mo. Polly married a Brewer and died shortly after her marriage leaving an infant child who died soon afterwards.
Betsey married William Biggs. He died many years since leaving a large family, to-wit; John, George, Polly, Milton, Nancy, Emily, Susan, Elizabeth, and Marion, William K., Margaret, and Richard. Emily married Jack Briscoe. She died several years since, leaving two sons, William and James. The others are all living and married.
John S. McCune married Ruth Anna Glasby, by whom he had five children. He resides in St. Louis. Harvey T. McCune married Polly Matson. He had two children living, to-wit; Enoch L. and Susan. He resides in southwest Missouri on Spring River. Margaret married Thomas Cleaver. They reside in Monroe Co., Mo. have six children, I think.
I neglected to state, when I spoke of the Indians attacking our house during father’s absence, that mother, by watching all night, became a little sleepy by daylight. She was on her knees with her axe in her hand, by the door, when she heard a noise over the door, and thinking it was the Indians, she struck her axe above the door, and cut into a roll of cloth that she had lying there, the end of it, being loose, made a noise by being blown by the wind.
The preceding thirteen pages (in the original type-written document) are an exact copy of the autobiography of Joseph Holliday, copy annotated by his son Samuel Newton Holliday of St. Louis, Mo., and are in possession of Mrs. Callie Jones of Independence, Mo. This copy made September 19, 1931 by (Mrs. Leon) Kathryn H. Campbell, 1904 Armstrong Ave., Kansas City, Ks.

(Mrs. Leon) Kathryn H. Campbell

1904 Armstrong Ave,

Kansas City, Ks.


The Western Citizen, Paris, Kentucky, Wednesday, March 27, 1816--Marriages: On Thursday last by Rev. Davis Biggs, Capt. Joseph Holiday of Harrison County to Miss Nancy McCune, daughter of John McCune of this county.


A common background


The Holliday name took two paths, each dependent on the color of the namesake's skin. (C-P photo/Hal Smith)

Presidents Bush, Mark Twain and the legacy of slavery -- A lesson for Black History Month
By Terrell Dempsey

For the Courier-Post

This is a tale of slavery, Mark Twain and two American Presidents for Black History Month.
In May 1845, Samuel Clemens, the boy who would become Mark Twain, was 9 years old. His father John Marshall Clemens was down and out. Though he had practiced law in Kentucky and Tennessee, he was not an attorney in Hannibal. The only income the family had was the meager fees he received for hearing small cases in the tiny city court - a non-attorney position he held. It was a part-time job at best.
John Marshall Clemens was pretty much at rock bottom financially in 1845. He and his wife Jane had sold off the last of the six slaves with whom they had begun married life. He had sold everything else he owned to satisfy his creditors. He could not find a buyer for the large tract of rocky land he owned in Tennessee, so he took a job. On May 5, that year, he wrote to his daughter Pamela who was visiting friends in Florida, Mo.:
"I have removed my office of Justice to Messrs McCune & Holliday's counting room where I have taken Mr. Dame's place as clerk - I did not succeed in making such arrangements as would enable me to go into business advantageously on my own acct - and thought it best therefore not to attempt it at present."

Although Joseph Holliday, a Monroe County businessman, died in 1870, slaves still figured prominently in his will. The Holliday name took two different paths, with one finding its way to the White House. (C-P photo/Hal Smith)

------------------------------------------------------------------------John Marshall Clemens may well have known the Holliday family from his time in Florida, Mo. His brother-in-law, John Quarles, still lived in Monroe County. Clemens had served on the Monroe County Commission, (then called the county court), before moving to Hannibal in 1839. While John Marshall Clemens had been a business failure, fortune had smiled on Joseph Holliday. Joseph had evidently gone into business with his in-laws. His wife's maiden name was McCune. With his sons, he built up a commission merchant business in Monroe County.
The business maintained an office in Hannibal that was overseen by Joseph's son John James Holliday in the mid-1840s. It was in that office Sam Clemens's father clerked and conducted his court. The Hollidays brought groceries and goods up the Mississippi River by steamboat and then shipped them by wagon to Monroe County.
The Holliday family is important not just for the job they provided to the Clemens family in time of need. John James Holliday's daughter Nancy was born in Hannibal in 1847. She is the great-grandmother of former President George Herbert Walker Bush and great-great-grandmother of President George W. Bush. She lived until 1942 in St. Louis. The elder President Bush turned 18 that year.
Joseph Holliday, like many Northeast Missourians in the days before the Civil War, kept the majority of his money in two assets that were immune from the shaky banking system of the time - land and slaves. In 1850 Holliday owned 10 slaves. By 1860, his human wealth had grown to 16 slaves. Twelve of the slaves in 1860 were identified by the census taker as mulatto or mixed race. It is of course difficult to determine who fathered those slaves, though one must bear in mind the observation of Mary Chesnut, famous southern Civil War diarist and wife of South Carolina Senator James Chesnut:
"God forgive us, but ours is a monstrous system, a wrong and an iniquity! Like the patriarchs of old, our men live all in one house with their wives and their concubines; and the mulattoes one sees in every family partly resemble the white children. Any lady is ready to tell you who is the father of all the mulatto children in everybody's household but her own. Those, she seems to think, drop from the clouds."
Joseph Holliday lived until 1870, five years after Missouri slaves were finally set free in 1865. Although he amended his will in 1867, slaves still figured prominently in the will. They were listed because they had already been given or sold to his children during his lifetime. In one of history's little twisted ironies, the Bush ancestor John James Holliday had been given a slave named "Walker" whom he had sold. John James Holliday's granddaughter would marry into a Walker family and two American presidents would carry the Walker name into the White House.
The white Holliday family prospered. A town was named in their honor in 1872. Holliday, Missouri was a stop on the Hannibal and Central Missouri Line, later part of the MKT Railroad, better known as the Katy.
Some descendants of the Holliday slaves, many of whom took the name Holliday, still live in Monroe County. They are hard-working people. Patricia Louise Holliday Minter is the living matriarch of one branch. She remembers her grandfather Del Holliday. No one knows exactly when he was born nor much about his family's experiences in slavery. There were two things people of his generation did not talk about: slavery and the white folks to whom they were related. It is clear that the black Hollidays lived a very different life than the white descendants of the Hollidays.
"My grandmother and grandfather could not read or write," Mrs. Minter recalls. She remembers her grandfather as a quiet man who would sit in the corner by himself. He did not seem to enjoy life. "He acted like a slave," she said.
Mrs. Minter's father, Delbert Holliday, was born in 1901, one of 16 children. "My father had a few years of school. He had what he called common education. He could read and write."
Mrs. Minter, born in 1941, attended her first year of high school in Hannibal. Though she lived in Monroe City, African American students were bused to the all-black Douglass High School 21 miles away in Hannibal. Then the State of Missouri complied with the Supreme Court decision of Brown v. Topeka Board of Education and she finished at Monroe City High School. Ironically she says she learned more in the segregated school where teachers had higher expectations of the students.
George W. Bush was born in 1946. Despite low grades, he was able to get into Yale as a "legacy student," one of the spots reserved for children of alumni. After being denied admission to the University of Texas Law School because of his low LSAT scores and undergraduate grades, he was admitted to Harvard Business School. As a private school, Harvard could overlook his academic shortcomings and look instead at his family's social standing and political power. Just as Mrs. Minter's race charted the course of her education, the Bush family's prestige opened doors for the president-to-be.
Mrs. Minter's father did just about any kind of work he could find in Monroe City. He was a butcher, sheared sheep and planted gardens for people. He had 14 children to feed and clothe. "We were poor," Mrs. Minter says, "but we lived middle class. We had plenty to eat and good clean clothes. Momma washed on a washboard in the back yard. We were spotless."
The White House descendants of the former slave masters invested in oil, went to ivy-league schools, and engaged in the rich gentleman's sport of national politics. George W. Bush owned a professional baseball team.
Mrs. Minter has no complaints about her life in Monroe City where she has lived her entire life. She says she never had to go in any back doors and could always sit wherever she wanted in the movie theater. She is proud that her mother or father could give her a note to take to the grocer and he would give her the items on credit knowing that her parents would pay the bill.
Mrs. Minter has worked since she was 11 years old. As a child she babysat for a white family. In exchange they paid for her lunches at school and gave her a little spending money. Today she still works for the same family. She sits with the mother of the children she babysat. Hers is a fine legacy, but very different from the legacy of the Holliday descendant in the White House.
And so a hardworking African American family, two American presidents, America's greatest writer and America's cruelest failure - slavery - are tied together in Missouri history - two branches from a tree named Holliday with two very different legacies. The irony would not have been lost on Mark Twain. He explored the vagaries of race and birth in his book Pudd'nhead Wilson where a mixed-race slave changes her own baby for the master's child. Her child grows up in privilege while the master's son grows up in poverty and ignorance.
We call it Black History Month, but that is not really true. It is actually American History Month. Slavery and the echoing racism touch us all.
(Special thanks to Barbara Schmidt of Tarleton State University and Vic Fischer of the Mark Twain Project. Without them this story would have lay hidden in the dust of history. Thanks also to Patricia Minter, Guy and Sandy Callison of Holliday, Missouri and Sam Akers, mayor of Holliday for their assistance and gracious hospitality.)
They had the following children:

i. William Harvey. William Harvey was born on August 9, 1817. William Harvey died after 1849; he was 31.

On October 3, 1839 William Harvey married Jennetta “Jennie” HARPER, in Monroe County, Missouri.5 Jennetta “Jennie” was born before 1830.

33 ii. John James (1819-1881)

34 iii. Thompson (1821-)

35 iv. Mary Sloan (1823-1851)

v. Rebecca Jane. Rebecca Jane was born in 1825. Rebecca Jane died after 1826; she was 1.

vi. Martha Ann. Martha Ann was born on July 20, 1828.

Martha Ann married Harvey William FOSTER.

vii. Samuel Newton. Samuel Newton was born in 1830.

viii. Elizabeth Brewer. Elizabeth Brewer was born on August 9, 1831.

On May 20, 1847 Elizabeth Brewer married Adam Harper GWYN.

ix. Joseph. Joseph was born in Pike County, Missouri, on January 7, 1834. Joseph died in Pike County, Missouri, on January 9, 1834; he was <1.

Download 1.06 Mb.

Share with your friends:
  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11

The database is protected by copyright © 2022
send message

    Main page