found in the disputed area. / Olney sent a note to Bri. saying US would defend
Ven. for it would be a violation of the Monroe Doctrine. / London is amenable
to arbitration for they want US good will because of German saber rattling and
the Boer War./ Sig. – improved Anglo-Am. relations
4. Hawaii – Why did Americans want it and what was Cleveland’s response?
- Am. sugar producers there wanted not to have tariffs on their products.
coaling station to Asia
- Cleveland – Did not annex for the Hawaiians didn’t want it. (Queen Liliukalani)
5. Define how all of the following helped lead to the Spanish-American War
insurrectos – Cubans who wished to be free from Sp. rule
General “Butcher” Weyler – Spanish Gen. that was sent to Cuba to put down
William Randolph Hearst – stirred flames of ire in the US through print –
“You furnish the pictures, I’ll furnish the war”
yellow journalism – exaggerated stories of atrocities in Cuba to sell newspapers
de Lome letter – Sp. minister in Washington, called McKinley an “ear to the ground politician” – described him in unflattering terms
USS Maine Incident – explosion aboard a US warship – 200 + Americans killed
6. Define the capturing of Manila,the Battle of San Juan Hill, and the Rough Riders
- Manila – Roosevelt sent Dewey to take it when war broke out.
- San Juan Hill – Roosevelt and the Rough Riders played a large part
- Rough Riders – TR’s regiment that he helped to recruit in San Antonio
- Neither side happy – Hurt relations with Russia for they believed they were robbed of a military victory / Japan – thought they had been cheated in Manchuria
20. Why did TR receive the Nobel Peace prize?
- He negotiated the Algeciras Crisis in 1906 (over German’s overtures towards
Morocco in N.Africa)
21. Relations with Japan –Define the following events and their impact on
- San Francisco School Incident (1906) – Following earthquakes, Asians were
segregated from regular school children. TR intervenes and calls the School
Board to Washington to convince them to integrate for the Japanese weren’t
happy with the discrimination against their countrymen in the US
- Gentleman’s Agreement – T.R. and Japan in secret agree. Japan will
restrict immigration of Japanese to the US by withholding visas
- Sailing of the “Great White Fleet” (1908) – TR sends the American Navy
around the world with their first stop in the Japan. Japan welcomes them and
agrees to the Root-Takahira agreement.
- Root Takahira Agreement (1908) – Japan and US agree to respect eachothers
possessions in the Pacific and keep the Chinese Sovereignty
** What does the “Sailing of the Great White Fleet” symbolize to you?