Public Place Names (Dunlop) Determination 2007 (No 1) Arial 12pt, bold Disallowable instrument di2007 185

Download 60.82 Kb.
Size60.82 Kb.

Australian Capital Territory

Public Place Names (Dunlop) Determination 2007 (No 1)

Arial 12pt, bold

Disallowable instrument DI2007 - 185

made under the

Public Place Names Act 1989— section 3 (Minister to determine names)

I DETERMINE the names of the public places that are Territory land as specified in the attached schedule and as indicated on the associated plan.

Neil Savery

Delegate of the Minister

20 July 2007


Public Place Names (Dunlop) Determination 2007 (No 1)

Division of Dunlop: Inventors, Inventions, military awards and Artists




Clendinnen Street

Frederick John Clendinnen


Doctor, medical radiologist and inventor

Frederick John Clendinnen was born at Emerald Hill, Melbourne, Victoria; was educated at South Melbourne Grammar School and Scotch College. He began his medical degree in Australia and completed it overseas, at Middlesex and St Bartholomew's hospitals, London.

In January 1886 he returned to Victoria and married Charlotte Welchman. He became a general practitioner at Hawksburn and developed a laboratory for the study of electrical phenomena. In 1896 he purchased his first X-ray apparatus and is acknowledged to be the first medical man in Melbourne to take an X-ray photograph of a patient.

An untiring experimenter and innovator, he soon devoted himself entirely to X-ray work and in 1898 gave up his general practice to become a medical radiologist, one of the first in the world.

Clendinnen was a man of many talents. Among his inventions were an electrical coin catcher for removing swallowed coins, an automatic telephone, a chloroform inhaler and a sound to aid in removal of stones from the bladder. He was also an exceptional marksman, and in 1898 was awarded a prize rifle made for the Melbourne gunsmith James Rosier.

Clendinnen used radium for treatment as well as X-ray for diagnosis. At the end of 1896 he was appointed the first 'honorary skiagraphist' to the (Royal) Melbourne Hospital and also the Eye and Ear Hospital. His early demonstrations were invaluable in convincing the medical profession of the value of X-rays for diagnosis and treatment.

De Mole Street

Lancelot Eldin De Mole (1880 1950)

Engineer and inventor

Lancelot Eldin De Mole was born in Adelaide, South Australia. He attended Melbourne Church of England Grammar School and Berwick Grammar School. He was a draftsman and before World War I he worked on mining, surveying and engineering projects in several States.

In 1911, while he was surveying in difficult country near Geraldton, Western Australia, he hit upon an idea for a tracked armoured vehicle. He submitted his design to the British War Office but it was rejected.

He resubmitted his design to the War Office in 1915 but was told that a working model must be provided. He had a model constructed but was without means to travel to England.

In the meantime the first British tanks took the field. He realized that his idea had been ignored but held that his design was superior.

In 1917, so that he could travel to England and take his model with him, he signed up for active service. He embarked for England and on his arrival he demonstrated his model to the British Inventions Committee. The committee recommended it to the Tank Board. However, it was misplaced for six weeks and before it could be demonstrated to the board, Private de Mole was sent to France in March 1918 and later in January 1919 he was attached to the ammunition workers' depot at A.I.F. Headquarters, London.

In 1919 he lodged unsuccessful claims with the British royal commission on awards to inventors. The credit of designing the tanks actually used was attributed to two British inventors. The commission recognised that his design predated and in some respects surpassed those that were actually put into commission. However, the commission considered that the designs, which the War Office had kept since 1912, had in no way been employed. He was awarded £965 for expenses and made an honorary corporal. In 1920 he was appointed C.B.E.

Patent records show he applied for patents on several devices in the years before World War I. After the war he became an engineer in the design branch of the Sydney Water Board.

Gordon Withnall Crescent

Gordon Withnall (1918-2005)

Manufacturer and inventor (super sopper)

Gordon Withnall was born in Cairns, Queensland and his family moved to Sydney in 1930. Gordon attended Sydney Technical High School then did an apprenticeship in Fitting and Turning. He was enlisted in the Army during the war manufacturing cannons. Here he became training officer and taught basic engineering skills to aircraft ground crews.

After the war he began his own business in 1946 called Kuranda Hatchery in Padstow, Sydney. He designed and sold an electric incubator to hundreds of small poultry farmers that abounded in that area. The family continued in the poultry industry manufacturing automatic feeders, brooders and heaters until 1980.

In 1974 Gordon came up with the idea for the Super Sopper while playing a round of golf at Liverpool Golf Course in Sydney. The Super Sopper removes water from sports grounds to enable play to continue after rainfall. Within three days of this idea the first machine was ready. Gordon holds a world patent for the 'Super Sopper'.

The Super Sopper was voted the best invention for the night on 'The Inventors' an ABC television series and 2nd best invention for 1974.

The company began to sell numerous machines each year to schools, councils, tennis courts and cricket clubs. In 1979 the arena manager of the Melbourne Cricket Ground asked Gordon to invent a large roller that could dry the entire MCG ground. Gordon achieved this by redesigning the machine to have two large rollers in tandem with the driver, motor and drive mechanism mounted between the rollers. The idea was to distribute the weight evenly over the whole machine and keep the overall gross weight as light as possible, thus not damaging the hallowed turf. That year in Melbourne it was very wet, but the MCG was always dry due to the Super Sopper.

The Super Sopper has since become very popular and models of varying sizes have been sold all over the world. The Super Sopper can also be used in industrial situations to pick up oil, kerosene and petrol spills.

Gordon engineered over 29 inventions and made money from 27 of them.

James Harrison Street

James Harrison (c1816-1893)

Journalist and inventor (refrigeration)

James Harrison was born at Bonhill near Renton, Dunbartonshire, Scotland. He was apprenticed to a printer at Glasgow where he attended the Evening College and later the Glasgow Mechanics' Institution.

In 1835 he worked in London as a compositor. Then travelled to Sydney in 1837 with printing equipment for the Literary News. He ran the Sydney Monitor and worked for the Sydney Herald. In 1839 Harrison joined the Port Phillip where he began the Geelong Advertiser. He also established the Intelligencer in 1850.

James was a member of Geelong's first town council in 1850 and represented Geelong and Geelong West in the Legislative Assembly in 1859-60.

In 1862, to avoid bankruptcy, he sold the Advertiser and was retained as its editor. In 1865 he began the Geelong Register. In 1867 he became an editor of the Melbourne Age.

Harrison's greatest achievement and much of his financial failure stemmed from his inventions: he was a pioneer in all kinds of refrigeration. At Geelong he designed and built the plant for the first Australian manufacture of ice and began production at Rocky Point, taking out a local patent in 1854. In 1856 Harrison went to London where he patented both his process and his apparatus. In 1860, in partnership, he formed the Sydney Ice Company. Harrison designed a revolutionary refrigerator, and patented it in 1860.

Before 1870 he began pioneering work on the refrigeration of ships for the export of meat, while competitors were still thinking only of direct freezing. In 1873 he won a gold medal at the Melbourne Exhibition by proving that meat kept frozen for months remained perfectly edible and that it could be shipped to England. He sailed on the Norfolk with twenty-five tons of beef and mutton. Unfortunately lack of funds for adequate machinery, rough handling and ignorance that beef should only be chilled made the cargo unusable.

Harrison stayed in Britain where he patented his refrigerated ship chambers, improved his earlier patents, and resumed journalism as Oedipus of the Age. After some nineteen years he returned with his family to Geelong.

Koerstz Street

Christian Christiansen Koerstz


Manufacturer and inventor (wool press)

Christian Christiansen Koerstz was born at Kolding, Denmark. Christian began work as an apprentice mechanic in a Dutch firm of windmill-makers. At the age of 20 he travelled to New Zealand and settled at Waverly, North Island where he worked in building and bridge construction. He returned to Denmark 12 years later and in 1887 married Christina Petra Kors.They migrated to Sydney in 1987.

Koerstz met and became a business associate of a grain and produce merchant who held patent rights to a woolpress and was agent for the Deering Harvester Company. Koerstz was granted provisional protection certificates by the Patents Office for an improved bundle-press in February 1890 and in 1891 for certain improvements in woolpresses, water pump and motor; and, with his associate, for an improved rotary pump. He thus began a long series of inventions and patents and a manufacturing firm which became well known in the pastoral industry in Australia and overseas.

Koerstz designed and made presses for both the large and small sheep-owner. By 1910 Koerstz was a large and successful exhibitor at the Royal Agricultural Society's Sydney Show and his woolpresses were standard equipment in a large and increasing number of shearing-sheds. His factory at Pyrmont also produced hay, skin, cotton and winepresses, quartz-crushers, pumps and a wide range of other agricultural implements. The expanded factory moved to Mentmore Avenue, Rosebery, in 1925.

Koerstz, whose inventiveness and high standard of workmanship did much for Australia's wool industry, was naturalized in 1907. At 65 he retired in favour of his children who continued the business as a partnership.

Old Street

Ernest Old


Cyclist, soldier and inventor

Ernest Old was born at Barrys Reef, near Blackwood, Victoria. He attended Prairie State school, and worked on his father's farms as a contract harvester.

Ernie was sent in 1896 with two brothers to develop family properties near Swan Hill, but he became more interested in machinery than in farming. He began cycling competitively and won a number of local events. Old finished eighth in the Warrnambool to Melbourne road race in 1901, and continued to do well until he had a fall in 1904. In 1902 he enlisted in the 4th Battalion, Australian Commonwealth Horse during the Second Boer War. He embarked for South Africa but the war ended before he saw action and he returned home in July.

In 1905 he married Marion Patience Grylls. He designed a scarifier with easily replaced tines, sold his farm, bought his father's interest in a smithy, and commenced manufacture.

He enlisted in the Australian Imperial Force in 1914, serving at Gallipoli with the 13th Light Horse Regiment and on the Western Front with the 2nd Pioneer Battalion. In 1916 he was badly wounded at Flers, France, repatriated in December 1917 and discharged from the army in 1918.

He resumed work as a blacksmith and implementmaker, but found that his scarifier had been superseded. He then invented a motorcar steering stabilizer as an inexpensive alternative to replacing worn parts. This device sustained his family through the Depression.

During World War II he tried to enlist in the A.I.F. before taking jobs as a blacksmith—on the construction of the Lauriston Reservoir, near Kyneton, and at the Ordnance Factory, Maribyrnong, Melbourne.

In 1945 Old began a series of long-distance cycle rides which were to make him a national figure. He climbed Uluru at the age of 83, and cycled across Tasmania in 1959 at the age of 85.

Percy Begg Circuit

Percy Raymond Begg


Orthodontist, inventor (improved braces)

Percy Raymond Begg (Raymond) was born in Coolgardie, Western Australia and educated in Adelaide. He first worked as a jackaroo in the Australian outback and later joined the Australian Imperial Force, but after contracting influenza was invalided out of the army in 1918c.

He moved to Melbourne and graduated in Dentistry from the University of Melbourne in 1923. He was accepted into the Angle School of Orthodontia in Pasadena, USA to further his studies.

He established Adelaide’s only orthodontic practice. For 25 years his practice remained the only one in Adelaide. He revolutionized the field of orthodontics with his introduction of the ‘Light Arch Wire Technique’ in 1961. He also made tooth extraction an integral part of the treatment. Previously, teeth straightening was a long and painful process, which involved the use of headgear and highly costly gold or platinum wires. Raymond’s method involved the use of lightweight, low force braces that were more affordable, less painful and required less manipulation and fewer visits to the dentists. This method was adopted across the world and was the forerunner of today’s orthodontic techniques and braces.

Raymond Begg received many honours including the naming of two societies (The Begg Society of Orthodontists and the European Begg Society) and the Begg Orthodontic Unit at the Adelaide Dental Hospital after him.

Scurry Street

William Charles Scurry


Soldier (Distinguished Conduct Medal) and inventor (automatic rifle firing system)

William Charles Scurry was born at Carlton, Melbourne, Victoria. He was educated at Ascot Vale State School after which he joined his father's firm, Wardrop Scurry & Co.

In 1915 Lance Corporal (later Captain) William Scurry was serving with the 7th Battalion at Gallipoli when he developed a system to allow rifles to be fired automatically to cover the ANZAC's withdrawal from the Peninsula.

The invention involved two tins and a piece of string. Water dripped through a small hole in the bottom of one tin into the second. When enough water leaked through, the weight of the second tin pulled on a piece of string that fired the rifle. By setting up dozens of rifles and varying the size of the drip hole, the Turks were fooled into thinking the ANZACs were still in their trenches firing, when in fact they were long gone. For his efforts, Scurry was awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal.

In 1916 Captain Scurry was sent to France and was awarded a Military Cross for bravery while commanding a light trench mortar battery. He was badly wounded in France, suffering damage to his sight from an exploding German mortar bomb. At the war's end he was forced to give up his career as an architectural modeller, and took up strawberry farming.

Despite his sight being seriously affected, Captain Scurry re-enlisted during the Second World War and was appointed commandant of the Tatura prisoner of war camp near Shepparton in Victoria.

Toft Street

John & Joseph Toft

John Percy Gilbert Toft MC and Bar (1894-1985)

Joseph Toft


Public servant and soldier MC and bar

John Percy Gilbert Toft was born at Bundaberg, Queensland and educated at Maryborough Grammar School. He worked as a probationary teacher and then as a clerk in the Queensland Lands Department. He also served with the senior cadets and for two years with the Australian Military Forces, before joining the Australian Imperial Force in1914.

He landed at Gallipoli on the evening of 25 April 1915 and was wounded one month later while serving as a runner. He left Gallipoli as a sergeant in September 1915.

His Battalion was sent to France in June 1916. He was awarded a Military Medal for his work at Pozières and was appointed battalion, and subsequently 4th Brigade, intelligence officer.

He was awarded the Military Cross for outstanding bravery and leadership shown in the battle of Messines, Belgium. To this he added a Bar for his part in the capture of Hébuterne, France, and succeeding operations.

In 1919 he married Grace McFarlane Stewart and they returned to Australia. During the 1920s he served with the 47th Battalion (militia), reaching the rank of major.

After the war he resumed his public service career and also worked as a clerk with the Australian Army prior to his retirement in 1959. He wrote a series of articles about the 'Anzac spirit' in, 'Playing a man's game', which were published in The Queensland Digger in 1935-41.

Farmer, manufacturer and inventor (cane harvester)

Joseph Toft was born in Bundaberg, Queensland. He was a local cane farmer and manufacturer. Joe was a key figure in the success of the sugar industry, particularly in the Bundaberg region, because of his landmark achievement in designing and building the first mechanical cane harvester.

It was Joe’s natural engineering ability and ingenuity which spawned one of Australia’s most successful home-grown engineering enterprises, the Austoft cane harvester business, established by his brothers Harold and Colin. The business was originally known as Toft Bros or colloquially as Tofts.

Joe designed and built the first mechanical cane loader in 1939 and the first mechanical cane harvester in 1942 in Bundaberg.

From 1947, the Austoft enterprise led the way in the global cane harvest sector. At one stage, 85 per cent of the world’s cane harvesters were made in Bundaberg. The company expanded into manufacturing other machinery and by the 1990s it was Australia’s largest agricultural machinery manufacturer.

Waterworth Street

Eric Waterworth (1905-1990)

Practical Engineer, inventor

Eric Waterworth was born in Hobart, Tasmania. He invented an Automatic Record Changer at the age of twenty, and sold the patent in London.

He began work in the family optometry business then established his own design and production business. After a stint working in London (1928-1931), Eric returned to Australia and developed the sound equipment for the first talkie movie theatre in Hobart. Later, he spent three years running a factory that made razorblades. He also made equipment for the physics and chemistry departments of the University of Tasmania during the 1930s.

He was the officer-in-charge of the Ministry of Munitions Annexe at the Physics Laboratory, University of Tasmania during World War II. The Annexe was involved with the Optical Munitions Panel.

After the war he continued in the business of optical design and manufacture, and the Waterworth slide projector sold widely around Australia.

Page of Public Place Names (Dunlop) Determination 2007 (No 1)

Unauthorised version prepared by ACT Parliamentary Counsel’s Office

Download 60.82 Kb.

Share with your friends:

The database is protected by copyright © 2022
send message

    Main page